SVERT

Volcanic environment



The Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics of the Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences is the oldest institution of academic science in the Far East of Russia. The Institute was established by order of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of June 23, 1946 No. 7930 as the Sakhalin research base of the USSR Academy of Sciences.

The creation of a scientific institute and the range of its research tasks were focused mainly on the economic development of the Sakhalin region. It was necessary to study the geological structure of Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands, to give a preliminary assessment of the estimated reserves of mineral, ore and energy resources, the formation of oil and coal, their chemistry and chemical technology, to create scientific foundations for farming, animal husbandry and forestry, as well as history and archeology and ethnography in the Sakhalin region.

By the Decree of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences of October 6, 1949 No. 23, the base was reorganized into the Sakhalin branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, by the decree of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences of May 20, 1955 the branch was reorganized into the Sakhalin Integrated Research Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Along with the preservation of the existing areas of work in geology, seismology and biology, the beginning of the development of geophysical research. Fundamental scientific research is being strengthened, the volume of applied scientific research is decreasing.

The main scientific directions of the Institute of this period are: the structure of the earth's crust and upper mantle in the zone of transition from the Euro-Asian continent to the Pacific Ocean; seismic zoning of the Far East;

structure and history of the geological development of the East of the USSR; magmatism and metallogeny of the east of the USSR; forecast of mineral resources of the Far East of the USSR and the issues of their development; biological aspects of the use of natural resources and the transformation of the nature of the East of the USSR.

In connection with the development of large-scale research works in the field of marine geology and the strengthening of the geophysical direction, the Decree of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences of October 25, 1984 No. 1287 of the SakhKNII was renamed the Institute of Marine Geology and Geophysics of the Far Eastern Scientific Center of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Over the entire period of its history and to the present, the Institute carries out complex fundamental scientific research in the field of earth sciences and biology and the work of applied subjects for the purposes of social and economic development of the Sakhalin Oblast.

At present, the purpose and subject of the Institute’s activity is to carry out fundamental, exploratory and applied research in the field of geology, geophysics and geoecology, aimed at studying natural and man-made catastrophic phenomena and problems of rational nature management.

Today (data as of December 31, 2017), 115 people work at the Institute, of which 62 are research workers, including 9 doctors of science and 33 candidates of science. Due to serious personnel work, the average age of the staff of IMGiG FEB RAS is now less than 50 years. Now the Institute employs 9 candidates of science under the age of 35 years (more than 15% of the total number of research workers). Each year, employees publish more than 60 scientific articles in leading peer-reviewed domestic and foreign journals in the field of earth sciences and biological sciences. In recent years, the number of research grants from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research and the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, performed by the Institute, has significantly increased. Since 2004, the staff defended 5 doctoral and 19 master's theses. At the initiative of the Director of the Institute Corr. RAS B.V. Levin in 2005 under the IMGG FEB RAS organized the Dissertation Council DM005.026.01 for the defense of doctoral dissertations. During the work of the council, 4 doctoral and 6 PhD theses in physical and mathematical sciences were successfully defended. Currently, the Dissertation Council has been reorganized into the Joint Dissertation Council D999.004.03 with three institutes: IMGIG FEB RAS, IVS FEB RAS and IKIR FEB RAS. The Institute publishes a quarterly scientific journal "Geosystems of Transition Zones", http://journal.imgg.ru.

The institute has a post-graduate course, a post-graduate course and a council of young scientists, and a scientific and educational seminar is constantly operating. In 2009, on the initiative of B.V. At the IMGiG of the Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Research and Education Center was organized to increase the effectiveness of training highly qualified personnel in the field of geophysics. As part of the center for young scientists organized courses of lectures delivered by leading domestic experts in earth sciences from Moscow State University. Mv Lomonosov, as well as various institutes of RAS.

Over the past 10 years, 6 scientific symposia (2005, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2015), a conference of young scientists (2004) and six youth scientific schools on natural disasters (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2016) with the participation of leading Russian and foreign scientists. Active international cooperation continues, in 2005 two international expeditions to Indonesia were carried out in the wake of the disastrous tsunami of 2004. Since 2006, comprehensive studies have been conducted in the Kuril Islands in cooperation with scientists from Japan and the USA. IMGiG FEB RAS receives grants from Russian and international foundations, works on federal targeted programs, government contracts with ministries of the Sakhalin Oblast Government and carries out innovative activities.

Director of the Corr. RAS B.V. Levin was awarded the Medal of the Order for Services to the Fatherland, II degree, for his great contribution to the development of national science and many years of fruitful work. Presidential Decree, 2011.